The Khaki Service dress cap authorized for all officers was virtually identical to the pattern of cap worn during the Second World War. It was worn with Battledress, Service Dress and Bush Dress. General Officers, Brigadiers and Colonels wore a red band around the body of the cap.
Khaki berets were standard postwar headwear until around 1952. As with many uniform items they appear to have been worn subject to local dress instructions well past that period.
A dark blue beret was introduced into Canadian Service in 1952. This pattern of beret incorporated a 7 inch by 3 inch half moon shaped cloth panel in the Corps badge backing colour. The badge backing colour authorized for the Canadian Provost Corps was scarlet. This pattern of coloured backing was very unpopular with soldiers and was withdrawn in 1954. The majority of the berets had the coloured panel removed.
The blue beret was reissued without the coloured panel and a piece of coloured cloth cut in the general outline of the cap badge with a 1/8 inch border was worn.
A Coloured Service Dress Cap was adopted by the Canadian Army for all ranks in 1958. The pattern specified for the Canadian Provost Corps had a dark blue body, scarlet cap band and a black patent leather brim. The chin strap was black patent leather secured by Corps pattern buttons.
The Coloured Service Dress Cap for Other Ranks and Junior Officers. The Officer's pattern was similar to the Other Ranks, but usually of a better quality material.
The Coloured Service Dress Cap for officers of Field Rank (Majors and Lieutenant Colonels) had a row of gold wire embroidery on the brim.
The Coloured Service Dress Cap for Brigadiers and Colonels had one row of gold wire oakleaf embroidery on the brim.
The Combat Uniform introduced into service in 1963 included a Combat Cap. This useful pattern of cap could be worn "Robin Hood" style with the brim sides folded up as shown or with the brim down.